Monday, September 1, 2008

Self-improvement projects abound!

Ah how we want to be perfect. Think about how unstressful our lives would be. What do you stress about on a day to day basis? Your job, you classes, your body, your friendships, your relationships, money, your house or room, and thank God I don't have kids yet because that's just one more thing to stress about! We're not perfect and never will be. Nonetheless, perfection is what we all,subconciously struggle for. No one just "settles" so let me tell you about the rash of self-improvement projects that are going around today. There's a blog that a woman is writing to describe her experience of living life according to all things Oprah for a year in an attempt to find happiness. Another woman has written a book about her life when she spends a year following the advice in magazines (mainly the magazines that cover all the bases like Self, Glamour and Cosmo). Someone else wrote a book about when he and his wife decided to have sex every single day for a year, including how it affected their relationship, the health benifits and the fact that she got pregnant as a result (YAY) What else, Eat, Pray, Love. I haven't read it yet but its about finding self-fulfillment. There are people blogging about losing weight. There are people who blog about being good parents. The web is littered with the journeys of people who are searching for happiness, perfection, fulfillment you name it, its out there.


In the same vein, I read an article about the importance of goal lists. They provide clarity, something concrete to work towards and you can break them down in to steps. I'll make goal lists for the year and goal lists for the next 10 years (stuff to do before I'm 30). I think this will be a good exercise for me. If I can break my goals in to less scary huge things I'll be more likely to accomplish them.

No comments: