Saturday, May 16, 2009

Happy Birthday Andrea

Yesterday was a big day. Yesterday was the day my little sister became old enough to drink in Toronto. That's right folks, the girl is 19. Actually I should call her a woman. So, to commemorate this special day I decided to get her jewelry. www.etsy.com is a wonderful site. Everything is handmade, everything is priced reasonably and everything is one of a kind. But at the end of the day I suppose that that's not what I really wanted to write about.

I'm rereading the alchemist and it's making me think. I need time to figure out my life, but my life seems ready to charge on without me. How nice would it be, to spend a couple of months in contemplative solitude. Not isolation, not silence, but a kind of introspective solitude so that you have time to figure stuff out. Maybe at an ashram in India, maybe on a beach on some teeny tiny greek island. Maybe right here at home, but with no job, enough money to see a shrink, do yoga every day and go to organic cooking classes. I want to hit pause, I want to figure out my life, sort through my "issues"; my fears, my phobias. And then when I'm good and ready, get back into it again....

If only right?

2 comments:

Young woman on a journey said...

the alchemist can make you feel that way. its like the best book ever for a young person searching for meaning in life. you don't have to have days away, you just need to create minutes each day to assess and you'll find the direction you are looking for. making that time is the most difficult thing.

Laura said...

true. but wouldn't it be Awesome to take off for two months?